Onions are a very versatile vegetable, loved and used by many people all over the world. But did you know that there are a lot of interesting facts about onions that not everyone knows.
Here are some of them:
- Onions are believed to have originated in Asia and cultivated for more than 5,000 years.
- One serving of onions is the equivalent to 45 calories.
- Onions were worshipped in ancient Egypt. Egyptians believed that the onion’s spherical shape and concentric rings symbolized eternal life. This is the reason pharaohs were buried with onions next to them, as it was believed they could bring the dead back to life.
- The ancient Roman Empire believed that onions cured night blindness, insomnia, and toothaches. They also used onions to treat dog bites and to help heal mouth sores.
- Chewing fresh parsley is an efficient way to get rid of “onion breath”. Coffee beans also work nicely.
- Eye irritation while slicing onions can be avoided by cutting them under running water. Keeping them in the fridge for a few hours before chopping also helps.
- Chewing gum while chopping onion is also a good way to prevent tears.
- Diced onions can be frozen for future use.
- If you plug your nose, onions, apples, and potatoes all taste the same.
- Onions were used by Greek athletes in the first century to fortify themselves.
- There is a big variety of onions. Bulbs vary in size, shape, colour, and pungency depending on soil conditions and growing temperatures. Each different type of onion presents different flavour and texture attributes.
- Store life depends on what kind of onion you have. Spring and summer onions have a shorter storage life, while fall and winter onions are more resistant and have longer storage life.
- Onions are very easy to grow yourself as they thrive in a wide range of soil conditions.
M&P Engineering is a leading manufacturer and supplier of food processing and food packaging equipment. With over 50 years’ experience, M&P Engineering has become a well-established name in the industry. We are a proactive, costumer focused business and we pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and support to our clients.
M&P Engineering’s small onion peeler is simple to operate but you get a product similar in quality to hand peelers at high speed and consistent quality. This machinery does not require a lot of labour and its simple to clean and maintain. It can top, tail and peel onions from 18mm to 45mm.
If you would like to find out more about M&P Engineering’s small onion peeler, call 0161 872 8378 or click here.