With the continued closure of restaurants, snack bars, fast food establishments and pubs, never before have people been doing their own cooking with many of us finding a newfound love of rustling up a story in the kitchen trying new recipes and experimenting with new flavours. We have all experienced the supermarket queues as we try to shop to feed ourselves and our families and the evening meal has become such a bonding time for families as they experience lockdown together.
One ingredient that adds nutrition and flavour in abundance to every dish is the onion. From tarts to soups, sauces to curries, casseroles, salads….…. the list is endless for this wonderful versatile vegetable. Here we share a few of our favourite recipes with you, putting the onion centre stage!
The best quick and easy Onion Tart
- 300g shortcrust pastry
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 900g Onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 medium eggs
- 300ml of double cream
- 40g parmesan cheese grated
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and place in a 23cm flan tin. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for 15 mins.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan, then gently fry the onions, until soft but pale in colour.
- Beat the eggs and cream together in a bowl, season, then add the cheese. Stir in the onions, then spoon the mixture into the flan case. Bake for 25-30 mins until lightly set and browned.
- Serve with a salad of your choice and enjoy!
As we come together as a nation in the struggle to adapt to our ‘new normal’, one much forever talked about subject i.e. the British Weather has not let us down!. In fact, the sunnier climate has indeed lifted everyone’s spirits and played a massive role in maintaining positivity. In back garden’s all over the UK the smell of a good BBQ is abundant. Here we share with you a must-have onion relish, hope you enjoy it!
Ultimate zesty red onion relish
- 4 red onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 knob of butter
- 1 tbsp of oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp of light muscovado sugar
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- Sweat the onions in the butter and oil over a gentle heat until they are very soft and tender.
- Stir the onions until they are golden on a slightly higher heat.
- Then stir in the salt and pepper and sugar and stir until the sugar has dissolved, add the vinegar.
- Leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the onion relish is sticky and reduced.
- Crank up the BBQ and serve this wonderful zesty relish on burgers, chicken, haloumi, sausages or whatever takes your fancy!
M&P Engineering is a leading manufacturer and supplier of food processing equipment to suit all food production factories. M&P Engineering’s large onion peeling machine uses self-adjusting floating knives to top, tail and peel onions of 45mm to 115mm diameter. The machinery is easy to operate due to the simplistic mechanism and design and thanks to the dry peeling process the product remains in pristine condition once it has been peeled.
M&P Engineering offers a wide range of food processing machinery in addition to onion peeling machines, including food depositors and rotary transfer units. If in need of food filling equipment, M&P Engineering designs and manufactures sachet filling machines to suit your factory requirements.
If you would like more information about any of M&P Engineering’s products, call us on +44 (0)161 872 8378 or contact us here.