Potatoes are extremely popular in every household. They are versatile, which makes them easy to include in a lot of dishes, they are easy to master and relatively cheap. They are one of the most widely used vegetable all around the world.
So, what are some of the health benefits of eating potatoes?
- They are full of nutrients: Their nutritional value will depend on the variety and how you prepare them, but potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Most of these are found in the potato skins, so leave them on when you can!
- They are full of fibre: Potatoes are a great source of natural fibre, which can help with your digestive system. The fibre content helps with digestion and to controlling the amount of sugar the body absorbs.
- They may help you keep your blood sugar under control: Potatoes contain resistant starch. Studies have linked this starch to many health benefits, which include reducing insulin resistance.
- They contain antioxidants: Potatoes are rich in compounds like flavonoids, carotenoids, and phenolic acids. These act as antioxidants in the body. Studies have also found that coloured potatoes can have three to four times more antioxidants than white potatoes.
- They are gluten-free: People with celiac disease can experience a lot of discomfort when consuming foods with gluten. Potatoes, being naturally gluten-free, provide a good option is you follow a gluten-free diet.
- They will fill you up quickly: Potatoes are incredibly filling. Because of this, they can help you regulate or lose weight, or keep your appetite under control.
Potatoes are extremely versatile. They are easy to prepare, can be used in many different ways and can be used in a lot of different recipes. Not just that, but they are absolutely delicious! Whenever you are preparing potatoes for a meal, we do recommend you leave the skin on, as we have mentioned before that so many of the nutrients can be found there.
M&P Engineering is an industry leading manufacturer and supplier of food processing and packaging equipment to food production sites across the globe. M&P’s new food processing equipment has fresh cut in mind. New technology is constantly being developed and improved to meet the ever-increasing demand for fresh fruit and vegetables ready to eat. M&P’s Carousel Grid Cutting machine is a versatile machine able to cut fruit and vegetables into fries, batons, wedges, petals and slices, and can produce up to 4,800 pieces an hour.
In addition, M&P also has available a world-renowned onion peeling machine. M&P’s large onion peeler uses self-adjusting knife assemblies to top, tail and peel onions. It also uses air compressors to remove the outer skin.