Onion is used widely in every household, and chances are, if you are using an onion on your dish, you will be throwing out the onion peel. But did you know that onion peels are something that you can use for your benefit? It’s not something you need to throw away every time, it has a lot of healing benefits and it’s good for the overall health of the body.
So, what are the health benefits of onion peels?
- Boost your immune system and increase your body health – Onion peels are believed to be beneficial for body health, as they contain a good number of antioxidants, flavonoids and quercetin. These can help deal with various health issues. According to studies, the onion peels have even more antioxidants than the onion itself.
- No more sore throats – You can use the onion peels to make tea, which can help with throat soreness. Simply drop the peels in boiling water, leave them for about 15 minutes, and drink it. Allegedly, this can also help with allergy-related issues, high blood pressure and infections. The taste isn’t everyone’s ‘cup of tea’, but it works wonders!
- They can help with hair growth – If you feel your hair has stopped growing, or feels dry and unhealthy, you can use onion peels to help. Simply boil them like you would for a tea and apply.
- No more skin problems – Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is believed onion peels might help with skin problems, like itching, rashes, etc.
- Great against leg pain – In tea form, it can soothe the pain on your legs after a long day. Drink it before bed and the peels’ healing properties will help reduce the pain.
Onion peels are not just good for your health, but they are quite useful in other areas as well. For example, you can use them in your soup or gravies for extra colour. It won’t affect the flavour of your dish and it will make it look a lot more colourful.
M&P Engineering is a leading manufacturer and supplier of food processing and food packaging equipment. With over 50 years’ experience, M&P Engineering has become a well-established name in the industry.
M&P Engineering’s small onion peeler uses a patented dry system for removing the outer skin, which means no slurry, and a peeled onion similar in quality to hand peeled at production speeds.
These machines are original Mather and Platt onion peelers and can top, tail and peel onions from 18mm to 45mm. If you would like to find more about M&P Engineering’s onion peeling machines, call 0161 872 8378 or click here.